Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Doublet Baragoni Woven Mockup - Second Attempt

Neither the 3-part nor the 4-part braided baragoni mockups looked like the portraits.  Time to come up with another concept.  I discussed it with some of my sewing, quilting and costuming friends.  Thanks for your suggestions Molly, Angel, Peggy and Liz!  Years ago we had done a Christmas ornament project with the children that involved weaving folded strips together into a heart shape like this:

Here are the complete instructions for the Danish Christmas Heart  It is a great craft to do with kids.
I revised the concept just a little  to use only folded strips and in stead of butting them right up to each other, I left a bit of a gap.  To simulate the bead holding the straps together in the top portrait, I stapled the interwoven strips together.  To simulate the puffing - I cut a plastic bag and pulled sheer plastic puffs from between my construction paper strips.  For the grand finale, I taped the whole thing to toilet paper tubes to simulate how it could drape around small shoulder rolls.  And viola - I think we have a workable mockup.
This mockup brings a whole new meaning to recycling, doesn't it?  We costumers get ideas from all sorts of different places and tend to make do with what we have on hand if possible!
Since I still have several other things to complete for IRCC, I may not make these until after IRCC is over - the doublet will look good even without them and I have several other things that still need to be done first.

No comments:

Post a Comment